Do You Need A Passport To Visit Saint Vincent? Find Out Here!

One of the first things you’re probably thinking about before heading to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines in the Caribbean is whether or not you’ll need a passport. The answer to that question is yes -- most international visitors, including U.S. citizens, require a passport to travel to Saint Vincent.

In addition to a passport, travelers to Saint Vincent will need proof of their intended departure from the country, which may be requested by immigration. If you plan to visit Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on a cruise, the rules are slightly different because you will be able to travel using another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document rather than a passport (more on this later). Having said that, it is strongly advised that visitors bring a passport in case of an emergency.

If you want to learn more about passports and other requirements for visiting Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, you've come to the right place. Read on for tips on how to have a stress-free trip to this amazingly beautiful and sunny destination!

Do I need a passport when flying to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines?

As with international travel in general, passports are required for travel to Caribbean islands such as Saint Vincent. If you don't already have a passport, you should apply for one well in advance of your planned vacation dates. In order to clear immigration, you may be required to show a return or onward ticket in addition to a valid passport. At the time of your travel your passport should be valid for at least six months past your departure date. Before heading off, ensure there’s at least one blank page left in your passport for entry stamps.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a visa to visit Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.

Do I need a passport when going to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines on a cruise?

Vacationers who plan on traveling to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines as part of a cruise can either use a passport or another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. This includes Passport Cards, Enhanced Driver's Licenses and Trusted Traveler Programs such as Nexus, SENTRI, or FAST.

If you will be traveling on a Caribbean closed-loop cruise you will be able to travel with a state-issued ID such as your driver’s license and your original birth certificate. A closed-loop cruise is a cruise that departs and ends at the same U.S. port. In this case, both your driver's license and your birth certificate will be required.

Although it is possible to travel to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, as well as some other Caribbean islands, without a passport as part of a cruise, the U.S. State Department recommends that visitors obtain a passport before international travel in the event of an unforeseen emergency that would necessitate disembarking and returning by air.

Insider tip: Got your passport ready? It's time to start planning your island getaway! Luxury resorts are a great option for a Caribbean vacation that has it all. Sandals Saint Vincent puts you in the enviable position to explore the beauty of Saint Vincent while enjoying the awesome inclusions of Sandals.

Can I use a passport card or other identification to travel to Saint Vincent?

Passport cards

A passport card is a smaller and less expensive alternative to a passport that can be used for both land and sea travel. A passport costs approximately $135 USD (for one adult), whereas a passport card costs only $55 USD. In comparison, a passport card has more information than a standard issue government ID card. However, for international air travel, U.S. passport cards are not accepted.

Trusted Traveler programs

Trusted Traveler Programs are risk-based programs designed for frequent travelers. These programs typically include features such as expedited lanes at U.S. airports. Before being approved applicants are usually vetted by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Most Trusted Traveler Programs have no minimum number of trips required for travelers to qualify. Members can enter the U.S. via automatic kiosks at select airports. The kiosk provides the traveler with a transaction receipt at which point they can make their way to baggage claim ahead of leaving the airport.

Trusted Traveler programs include:

NEXUS: Generally used to enter the U.S. from Canada through land, air and sea;
SENTRI: Generally used to enter the U.S. from Canada and Mexico by air or land;
FAST: Generally used to enter and exit the U.S. from Canada and Mexico with a commercial truck.

At time of publication, all of the above memberships can be used as identification when embarking on a cruise to St. Vincent & the Grenadines. However, none of the Trusted Traveler programs can replace a passport when flying to St. Vincent & the Grenadines.

Enhanced driver’s license

A special driver's license that can also be used for travel is known as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL). When traveling, the state-issued EDL can be used as identification because it also shows your citizenship. An EDL is a low-cost alternative to a passport and it can be used to enter and exit the United States from Canada, Mexico, and some Caribbean countries by land or sea. The EDL card includes security mechanisms as well as other features that aim to make travel safer and more convenient. The document cannot, however, be used in place of a passport for international air travel.

Bonus FAQs!

I’m stuck in Saint Vincent without a passport. What should I do?

It would be a nightmare to be stuck in Saint Vincent & the Grenadines or any other destination without a valid passport. If this should happen to you, the first thing you should do is go to the nearest police station and file a police report. This is critical because you may be asked to provide proof of this report (a copy) during the passport application process. Complete this as soon as possible.

The next step is to contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate general for help. Explain your situation and provide all requested information. Your explanation should include specifics from the information you included in your police report following the incident. After you provide the necessary information, staff at the embassy or consulate can assist you in obtaining documents to travel home.

You must complete and print the DS-11 passport information form as part of this process. You’ll also need to fill in, print, and sign the DS-64 (Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport) form. This will include information about your lost or stolen passport. You may need to provide evidence of U.S. Citizenship and a photo ID. Keep your police report and any travel documents you have that show the dates of your intended return. Once all of this is done, schedule an appointment to get an emergency or replacement passport.

Saint Vincent & the Grenadines Consulate and Embassy contact information

The U.S. Embassy in Barbados is also responsible for U.S Citizens in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. They can be contacted using the information below:

Wildey Business Park
St. Michael BB 14006
Barbados, W.I.
Phone: 1-246-227-4000

U.S. Citizens with emergencies, please call 1-246-227-4000 (BARBADOS – POST 1 will action accordingly) or (+1 473) 407-2495 (GRENADA).

Outside of Office Hours, contact: 1-246-227-4000.

What to do when your trip exceeds your maximum period of stay

When entering Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, you will be issued a visitor permit, which can be valid for up to six months for U.S. citizens. If you’re enjoying your time in Saint Vincent and want to stay longer, you can apply for an extension at the Immigration Head Office in Kingstown or any of the following ports: Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, and Union Island.

Do I need to get vaccinated before traveling to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines?

For most U.S. citizens who plan on visiting Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, you likely won't need to get vaccinated before your trip. With that said, it is recommended that prospective visitors ensure that they are up-to-date on all routine vaccines before every trip. It should be noted that travellers from regions where there is a high risk for yellow fever may be asked to provide proof of yellow fever vaccination. This rule applies to all travellers above the age of one.

Are there any currency restrictions for Saint Vincent & the Grenadines?

You won't need to worry about restrictions on local or foreign currency when traveling to Saint Vincent but it is important to ensure that you declare ‘cash and negotiable instruments’ valued above $10,000 USD or more (or its equivalent in another currency) upon arrival. Negotiable instruments include cheques, travellers’ cheques, money orders and promissory notes.

Grab your passport and explore the beauty of Saint Vincent!

Anyone traveling internationally to Saint Vincent & the Grenadines by air will need a passport to enter the country. Once you’ve got your documents in hand, there’s nothing to stop you from making the most of your trip to this gorgeous territory. If you really want to make this the trip of a lifetime, booking an all-inclusive stay at a Saint Vincent resort is the way to go! There’s nothing like having a selection of gourmet restaurants, bars, entertainment, and amenities at your disposal - included and unlimited.

Read More Travel Guides

About K. Williams, T. Thompson & W. van der Hoop.

A collaboration between seasoned travel writers, boasting over 30 years of collective experience in Caribbean travel.